Sunday, March 29, 2015

Jonah Days

I'll be quick to point out that my little are adorable, even if they can't hold still for pictures. 



But they are oh-so-much work. 

Work. Work. Work-ity, work.

Who knew? 

And this week has had some Jonah moments. If you've ever read Anne of Green Gables, she has what she calls a "Jonah day"---everything goes wrong and she reacts badly. So, it's been a struggle this week and ended with all of us (except Caleb, so far) getting sick. Rae's run a really good fever and Joe's been up most nights for a couple hours. 

Bleh. 

But, we've also gotten amazing things done with our widow's mite of time. Like pack stuff and take it to storage. Like make a zillion appointments and schedule surgery for Joe (again, on April 9th). Like clean the excess grout off the bathroom floor. You know, things. 

And then, there are the not so glorious moments. Like Rae cutting bread by himself (repeatedly). [Yay for independence; Boo for waste and clean up.] 


Also like Rae not wanting to eat and making sad faces. 


Like putting water on to boil to make oatmeal, forgetting it, and destroying the pan. 
I totally blame sleep deprivation on that one. 


And like finding my bigger littles playing in two containers of oatmeal and a container of salt. 
I swear I was only cleaning my bathroom for a few minutes. And I heard them playing happily. Well, now I know why. 




It's been a Jonah week. I'm really hoping for rest soon, 
because I'm so tired that Mt. Dew doesn't buzz me at all. And this is why you have kids when you are "young" because you can "handle" it. 


But, I'll end on a more hopeful note: 
Joe. 

He has been refusing to put anything near (or in) his mouth since he gave up his binky around 14 months. Refusing. Dodging. Not interested. We forced the issue for awhile, made it worse. We backed off and just let him play with food at mealtimes.  

Just recently, he has shown interest in putting food near his mouth. He reached for my smoothie (yup, make a fruit smoothie most mornings because I can eat it one-handed and it is quick to make and if I don't get to it for a long time it still tastes good… essential qualifications for this phase of life) and wanted to put his fingers in it and touch his fingers to his mouth. 
If I wasn't so tired, I might have cried. 


I have hope. Things will get better. Someday he'll learn how to eat. 

And Jonah weeks will not be so common. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Maple Syrup Festival

  We went to the Maple Syrup Festival @Cunningham Falls State Park today. The weather was *gorgeous* and the crowds not horrifying.  We star...