Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Everybody Loves Babies


When we go to the nursing home to visit a friend, Studly captures the attention of everyone there. A little old man with no teeth passed by and said, "Oh, look at the baby!" That's the most awesome part of having a baby, particularly a new baby. Babies make strangers into friends--even people I would normally not be inclined to like.

I don't like the MVA, but I had to get a Maryland driver's license, so off to the MVA Studly and I went. The lady at the first counter was rude and I fumed away, muttering and sputtering at the ridiculous government bureacracy. My picture gets taken at another counter, but, of course, it's another wait to get to that counter. By the time I get up to the next counter, guess who is behind it? Oh, it's the lady from the first counter. My luck.

Fortunately, I am holding Studly. Holding him calms me down. (Nursing also calms me down. Once, I woke up with a nightmare and grabbed Studly just so I could nurse him and fall back asleep.) Well, she's there and I'm there and Studly is playing on my lap. She looks right at Studly and starts cooing and entertaining him! She talks all about her four kids and gives some excellent parenting advice, too.

All of a sudden, I like her.

And that's just what babies do. Studly helped me like her when I was not disposed to because she liked my him. Babies are special, mine certainly is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maple Syrup Festival

  We went to the Maple Syrup Festival @Cunningham Falls State Park today. The weather was *gorgeous* and the crowds not horrifying.  We star...