Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Recovery


The hardest part of the Tongue-Lip Adhesion was recovery. 

Joseph had the surgery on December 3, 2012. He was sedated, to one degree or another for a full two weeks after surgery--and we could not hold him and he could only weakly respond to us, hold our finger, struggle to lift his head. We all had a hard time. 

Mr. Graff and Joseph, the day before surgery: 


Joseph, two days after surgery: 


Four days after surgery:


Seven days:


Nine days: 


Eleven days: 


Twelve days: 


Fourteen days: 


Sixteen days: 



In the last picture, Joe is finally off of his air flow (VapoTherm), breathing on his own and looking around. Mr. Graff and I felt relief at seeing Joseph's progress. 

I wish I had known how long recovery would be and more of what to expect, but how would you prepare for something like this? I'm not sure I could have prepared for this. Even as time goes forward, these memories feel fresh.  I cringe looking at these pictures. I don't sleep when I have to take Joseph back to this hospital for a check-up. I hear Joseph cry like some people feel phantom phone vibrations in their pockets. 

I can't say that I feel grateful for going through this trial--I'm not that righteous. I do feel grateful that God helped me carry the burden. I'm grateful that Joseph is home with me. And I hope someday that memory will bring into relief the good and make the rest a little more faded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maple Syrup Festival

  We went to the Maple Syrup Festival @Cunningham Falls State Park today. The weather was *gorgeous* and the crowds not horrifying.  We star...